The kampala city tour is a great start for anyone taking on an adventure in Uganda. This being the commercial city of Uganda, there is always alot going on and about. The Kampala city tour and day excursions are some of the most exciting activities especially for those interested in visiting urban tourist attractions in Uganda. The Kampala city tour covers a variety of options and the trail you will choose will definitely offer you what you want. For cultural enthusiasts there is a cultural trail mainly for the Baganda where you can visit Kasubi Tombs, Lubiri ceremonial palace, Mengo which is the Parliament of Buganda Kingdom and Nagalabi which is the coronation ground for Buganda Kingdom as well. There are various attractions in the area and these are listed below;
Top Attractions in Kampala
The National Museum is an ideal place to visit on your Kampala city tour. It is 3km along Kira road from the heart of Kampala city. It is the oldest in East Africa. It was established in 1908 with artifacts of item/objects from the different traditional chiefs. The Museum holds items on Uganda’s history, natural historical samples, musical instruments and archaeological artifacts.
These tombs are found on the Kasubi Hill and about 5km on Kampala-Hoima Road from Kampala city centre. This place is the burial ground for kings from the Buganda Kingdom. There are four previous kings buried in this place and these include; Mutesa I who ruled from 1856-1884, Mwanga who ruled from 1884-1897, Daudi Chwa ruled from 1899 -1939 and Mutesa II ruled from 1939-1966. The place has a main burial tomb which is the biggest in Africa. The other smaller adjacent tombs are used as resident places for the care takers and houses for some of the kingdoms royal regalia.
The main attraction of tourists to this place is the scrupulous architecture of the large tomb and the other smaller hats, in addition to having a detailed observation of the pictures, regalia and stories of the former kings and the history of the Buganda Kingdom.
This Temple is situated on Kikaya Hill just 7 km from the heart of Kampala city on Kampala Gayaza road. This is the only temple of the Baha’i faith in the whole of Africa.
This temple is of international importance and attracts followers of the Bahai faith from all corners of the world. It also attracts numerous visitors to enjoy the wonderful scenic view of Kampala City. The quiet surrounding environment additionally attracts people to come for prayers and meditation.
The Uganda Martyrs Shrine Namugongo located along Kampala-Jinja highway and is one of the most distinguished shrines in Uganda and an important site among Christians in Africa. It is believed that, at Namugongo, 32 young Christian converts (Including Anglican & Catholics) were martyred on refusal to denounce Christianity, which was spreading like wildfire in Uganda right from 1870. This angered King (Kabaka) Mwanga II, prompting him to order the execution of the 32 Christians on Thursday 3rd June 1886.
The Cathedral is located on Rubaga hill, about 3 Kilometers north-west of the City center. The Cathedral is the seat of the Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church in Uganda. Rubaga hill was formerly a palace of Mutesa I but was donated to Bishop Hirth by his successor Mwanga in 1889. The Cathedral was opened on 31st October 1925.
Namirembe Cathedral is located on a Namirembe hill close to Rubaga hill. The hill is the home of the Archbishop of the Anglican Church (Church of Uganda). The hill was donated by Mutesa I to the early missionaries in 1877. A Church was built at the site in 1880s and the Cathedral was built 1890.
This university lies on Makerere hill, just 3 km north of the centre Kampala City. This is the main higher institution of learning and the largest in Uganda. It was first established as a technical school in 1922 and in 1963 it was upgraded to a University status in East Africa, offering courses leading to attaining a degrees from the University of London. It became an independent national university in 1970 when the University of East Africa was split into three independent universities: University of Nairobi (Kenya), University of Dar-es-Salaam (Tanzania) and Makerere University. Makerere was home to many post-independence African leaders, including former Ugandan president Milton Obote and late Tanzanian president Julius Nyerere. Former Tanzanian president Benjamin Mkapa and Kenyan president the Late Mwai Kibaki are also Makerere alumni.
This Mosque also known as Kampala Mosque or National Mosque is a mosque situated at Kampala Hill in the Old Kampala area. Completed in 2006, it accommodates up to 5,000 worshipers and can hold another 1,100 in the gallery while the terrace will cater for another 3,500. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi of Libya built the mosque as a gift to Uganda. But mostly to the Muslim’s in Uganda.
Independence Monument is Located along Speke road in Kampala, just opposite Standard Chartered bank, the construction of the Independence Monument was funded by the British Colonial government in the days leading up to Uganda’s first independence celebration on October 9, 1962. Depicting a man unwrapping his child and raising to touch the sky, the towering sculpture signifies a new born country let free from the bondage of colonization. This monument was made from cement, sand, iron bars and wire mesh. It is the work of Gregory Maloba, a Luhya sculptor from Kenya who studied and taught art at Makerere University from 1939- 1965.
The Home of Ndere Troupe is a very unique architectural feature combining artistic creativity with simplicity and taking, modern African architecture and construction to unprecedented heights. Traditional dance, music and drama with modern arts using traditional instruments
Lubiri Palace or Mengo Palace is the royal compound of the Kabaka or king of Buganda, located in Mengo, a monarchy that dates back almost 800 years. Mengo has been the main palace since it was first constructed in 1885 by Daniel Mwanga II Mukasa, the 1st Kabaka of Buganda. Measuring 4 square miles (10 km2) in size and the palace is ringed by a six-foot brick fence and has a small airstrip within its walls. Its the official residence of the Buganda
The Kabaka’s lake is the biggest man-made lake in the country. It is found in the area of Ndeeba close to 5 km from the city center in the west. It was under the orders of the previous king Mwanga of Buganda Kingdom that the lake was dug. The 52 distinct Buganda clans consider it sacred and the clan leaders mobilize their people to have it cleaned.
The lake is surrounded by several cottages to offer accommodation. Activities on the lake are; boat racing, catering services and pleasure trips.
In 1896, when the Church Missionary Society (CMS) sought of missionaries to come to Uganda, he volunteered. They took a journey by sea, landing at Mombasa after two months. After a two-month rest at Mombasa, with 500 porters mobilized for the caravan, he started the over- 1,360-mile trek to Kampala arriving after three months. 1897 he established Mengo Hospital, the oldest hospital in East Africa. He married Katharine Simpson, a missionary nurse, in 1900, with whom he had two daughters and a son. Sir Albert Cook site is located in Mengo, Kampala.
This tomb is the burial ground where the first Moslem from the Baganda tribe was buried. Mbogo a brother to the late prince Kakungulu who was the delegate of the colonial government that was responsible for managing and administering most of Eastern Uganda. The tombs are found in Kawempe Division in Mbogo zone.
This hill is situates approximately 10km from the heart of Kampala city center off Kampala-Gayaza Road. It has a church and an ancient house. The old house is a house of the Buganda king’s mother. It is presumed that it was the area were mothers of long ago Buganda Kings used to sit as they watched over the burial grounds of the kings in Kasubi.
Fort Lugard is found on Old Kampala hill and overlooks the heart of Kampala at just 1 km North West from the heart of the centre of the city. It is of national significance and it denotes the colonial period under the governess of Captain Fredrick Lugard who was the first governor of the then British Protectorate.
Book this trip